Studio for Electro-Acoustic Music (SeaM)
The studio specialised in electro-acoustic music is based on an intensive co-operation between the University of Music FRANZ LISZT Weimar and The Bauhaus University in Weimar. Its goal is to extend the training offered in the subject of electro-acoustic music and sound organization in both institutions. The SeaM thereby offers versatile possibilities for the production of electro-acoustic music which often spreads into many areas (Multimedia) - as well as for the study and development of new artistic topics.
The SeaM offers
- A comprehensive training (seminars, practice sessions, special lectures) in electro-acoustic and computer-assisted composition, insound installations as well as in multimedia projects, which are developed in co-operation with the medium faculty of the Bauhaus University
- Technical equipment with high professional standards for a founded study of electro-acoustic composition and the associated realisation of new works is available
- Presentation of electro-acoustic music and media art in the form of concerts and tours - frequently in connection with guest lectures or concert presentations by composers both from Germany and foreign countries
The Institute for Contemporary Music and the SeaM are situated in the main building (Fürstenhaus) and are connected with the recording studio and the concert hall at the academy. Thus a maximum flexibility is created for the technical support of differing artistic projects.
During the study period the following is offered
- An introduction to electro-acoustic music
- Electro-acoustic composition
- Programming in CSound/SuperCollider/Max/MSP and others
- Special topics regarding electro-acoustic composition - three-dimensional sound organization, appliances for the manipulation of sounds etc.
- An introduction to recording and studio technology I & II
- Special courses in Multimedia - e.g. Director, Flash, jitter, video management, etc. (according to supply)
Technical Equipment and Software (Selection)
Pre-productions studio(5 work areas as well as Powerbook-Docks)
Internal Net-, Audio- und MIDI-connections with the productions studio, Audio connections with the recording studio (there: extensive microphone supplies und Photography lab) and concert hall
Computer: 2 x iMac G4, 1 x iMac G3, 1 x PowerMac G3, 1 x PowerMac G4; 4 computers with Steinberg Nuendo 3 and Tascam US-122, 1 computer with ProTools LE 6. ports for laptops
Software: Cycling’74 Max/MSP 4.5, SuperCollider, CSound, IRCAM Software (Audiosculpt, Diphone, Modalys, OpenMusic), Common Music and others
Interfaces und input devices: 4x Tascam US-122 Audio-IF, 1x Digidesign Digi 002 Rack. 3x Evolution UC-33 MIDI-Controller, 1x Doepfer Pocket-Fader, 1x Doepfer Regelwerk, 1x Kenton Controlfreak. each with a table microphone
Sound: 3x Waldorf Emes Stereo-Paare, 3x JBL Control 1 Stereo-Pairs, central mixer with 4 Waldorf Emes loud-speakers, e.g. for seminars
Periphery: DVD Player, Cassette deck, CD-Player, DAT-Recorder
Each working area has a connection to the internet (Ethernet u. WLAN) and to the hard drive-server.
For Seminars whiteboard and over-head projectors are available.
Productions Studio(1 working area)
Internal Net-, Audio- und MIDI-connections with the pre-produktions studio, Audio- and Video connections with the recording studio and concert hall
Computer: PowerMac G5 (OS X) with DigiDesign ProTools HD 6 System (core, accel, process Karten), PC (WinXP) with Steinberg Nuendo 3
Separator Matrix-PC (WinXP) on Max/MSP Basis and three RME MADI cards (192 in and outputs) for all Audio- und MIDI-Patch and mixing procedures. Control-surface Mackie HUI
Software: Mac: Digidesign ProTools TDM 6, Cycling’74 Max/MSP/Jitter 4.5, SuperCollider 3, CSound, IRCAM Software (AudioSculpt, Diphone, Modalys, OpenMusic), BIAS Peak 4, Meloncillo, N.I. Reaktor 4, Plug-Ins (GRM Tools und Spectral Transform, Waves Platinum, N.I. Spektral Delay, Altiverb), Apple Final Cut HD und DVD Studio Pro and others. PC: Steinberg Nuendo 3, Cycling’74 Max/MSP/Jitter 4.5, Composer’s Desktop Project w/ Sound Loom, CSound, N.I. Reaktor, CoolEdit Pro and others.
Sound: 8x Geithain Regie loud-speakers RL903K, 2x Geithain Subwoofer BASIS2, Lake People Volume Controller F38, Kopfhörer Beyerdynamic DTS and AKG K501
Interfaces and Transducer: Mac: DigiDesign ProTools HD 196 I/O; PC: RME Hammerfall DSP; Motu 828 (for Laptops); Konverter RME MADI-to-ADAT, Euphonix AM 713 Analog-to-MADI and MA 703 MADI-to-Analogue, Euphonix FC 726 AES-to-MADI with SRC. Focusrite Octopre 8 fold Mic Pre.
Synchronisation: C-Lab Timemachine and Lake People DSA F63 Wordclock Verteiler
Zuspieler and Recorder: Alesis ADAT, Tascam DA-88, DA-78HR, DA-30 Mk2, CD-450, MD-350; DVD-Player, Cassette deck.
Mobile Equipment: Fostex FR-2 Field Memory Recorder, TASCAM DA-P1, Fostex PD-4
Microphone: 2x Sennheiser MKH-800, 2x Neumann KM184 mit Korb und Jammer, 2x Schoeps MK21, Sennheiser MKH 418 S and MKH 70, Sennheiser MKE 2 and AKG C411
Periphery: Lexicon PCM-81, Sony DPS-R7, DVD burner
Nähere Informationen zum Netzwerk finden Sie hier.
Manager: Prof. Maximilian Marcoll
Assissent lecturer: Tim Helbig
Sound master: Joachim Müller
Studio of Electro-Acoustic Music (SeaM)
Platz der Demokratie 2-3
Tel. +49 (0) 3643 | 555 289