International Applicants - Ordinary Programmes

In general, international applicants go through the same application process for ordinary programmes (Bachelor's / Master's) as German candidates.

Additional documentation

Language proficiency
Language skills can be proven, for example, with the 'Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang' (DSH), the 'Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache' (TestDaF), 'The European Language Certificates' (telc), or similar languages qualifications, including Goethe certificates. We recommend attending a certified language school.

Applicants for programmes in musicology, arts management, or music education must prove a proficiency equivalent to register C1.

Visa/Right to stay
EU citizens, and nationals of a few other countries, including Andorra, Australia, Honduras, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, Lichtenstein, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland, and the USA do not require a visa to enter Germany. They may enter the country without visa, but will require a permit to stay in Germany for the duration of their studies. This permit must be obtained from the relevant immigration office (‘Ausländerbehörde’) within three months of arrival.

Nationals from all other countries must apply to the German embassy in their home country for a study visa. You are strongly discouraged to come to study in Germany on a tourist visa!

Useful information

Living costs
You will need roughly Euro 934 per month to live in Weimar, including accommodation and insurance. In order to be granted a residence permit, you will have to demonstrate to the immigration office that you have secured the necessary sum to cover the costs of the coming year (for example, you will need a guarantee from your parents or another person, sufficient savings in your home country, a German account with sufficient funds, or similar). The office will also accept scholarship certificates issued by institutions from your home country or the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).

There are no fees for studying for an undergraduate or graduate degree. Since the winter term 2004/05, however, students have had to pay a continuation fee of Euro 500 if they exceed the regular duration of their undergraduate course by more than four terms, or their graduate course by more than two terms.

Independent of your course, you will have to pay a termly registration fee ('Semesterbeitrag') when you enrol or re-register yourself; this includes your contribution to the LISZT University's Student council, as well as a ticket for regional trains within Thuringia. You will find the current registration fee here.

Click here to find out more about scholarships at the University of Music FRANZ LISZT Weimar. We also recommend that you get in touch with foundations in your home country and with the regional office of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).

The Episcopal Student Fund Cusanuswerk offers scholarships to students from EU countries. For further information, see:

Language courses
In addition to other institutions, the language centre at the Bauhaus University offers German courses to applicants and students at the University of Music FRANZ LISZT Weimar. You can request further information from:

Sprachenzentrum der Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
Dr. Susanne Kirchmeyer
Coudraystraße 13a
99421 Weimar
E-mail: susanne.kirchmeyer(at)
Telephone: +49 (0)3643 | 582 391
Fax: +49 (0)3643 | 582 392