General Tuition Fees
Since 2008, a tuition fee of 500 Euros per semester is required for graduate studies which do not directly follow an undergraduate degree.
Upon matriculation, re-registration and application for a leave of absence, the following fees are required:
69.00 Euros -- for the Student Council
107.87 Euros -- for the semester train ticket (DB, ÖPNV, VMT)
13.50 Euros -- for the Student Body
190.37 Euros -- altogether
Fees for the Entrance Exam and Aptitude Assessment Process
Long term studies
The government of Thuringia decided on 3 April 2003 to change the law applying to universities and introduce tuition fees for long term studies. The schools and universities of Thuringia are required to be acquainted with the required fees and in some cases to collect these fees upon matriculation or re-registration.
The fee is 500 Euros per semester.
The fee is required in the following cases:
- when the standard duration of studies leading to an initial qualification for the practice of a profession or when the standard duration of consecutive programmes of study is exceeded by more than 4 semesters
- when the standard duration of studies is exceeded by more than 4 semesters in a second programme of study ('Zweitstudium').
All programmes of study undertaken at universities in the scope of the HRG (Hochschulrahmengesetz – a law defining what constitutes a university) are counted. Programmes of study at conservatories are only counted up to the fourth semester.
The following circumstances could lead to a longer period of study without the requirement of paying tuition fees, or to a reduction or remission of tuition fees. In these cases a corresponding form must be filled out for validation:
- a one-time change of the programme of study by the end of the second semester
- when a student pursuing a second programme of study ('Zweitstudium') has completed a first programme of study with results which are significantly above the average for that programme and class
- when a student takes a semester off (suspension)
- time taken off to care for or raise children
- active participation in organisations of a university or conservatory
- presentation of a case of hardship
Fees are not required during leave of absence or with regard to BAföG.
It is highly recommended in planning a course of studies to carefully think through the possibilities of the applicability of tuition fees.