Nicolás Pasquet | Johannes Schlaefli - Conducting
11 - 17 July 2021
MDR Leipzig Radio Symphony Orchestra
For 25 years now, Nicolás Pasquet, as Professor of Orchestral Conducting, has made a significant contribution to the international reputation of conducting education at the Hochschule für Musik Franz Liszt Weimar - the so-called "Weimar Conductors' Forge". The principal conductor of the university orchestra was born in Montevideo (Uruguay) in 1958 and studied violin and orchestral conducting there. Later he continued his studies in Stuttgart and Nürnberg. Nicolás Pasquet twice won the German Music Council's federal selection for conductors. In 1987 he won 1st prize at the International Conducting Competition in Besançon (France). Positions as Chief Conductor or General Music Director have taken him to the Symphony Orchestra of the City of Pécs in Hungary, the Neubrandenburg Philharmonic and the Orchestra of the Coburg State Theater. Nicolás Pasquet has a broad discography with the labels Naxos, Marco Polo and Beyer. His special commitment is the promotion of young talent. He is currently principal conductor of the Landesjugendsinfonieorchester Hessen.
Johannes Schlaefli is currently principal conductor of the symphony orchestra Collegium Musicum in Basel and Professor for Orchestral Conducting at the Zurich University of the Arts.
As one of the most highly sought after conducting teachers, Schlaefli is in demand throughout the world and collaborates with institutions including the Sibelius Academy Helinski, the Aspen Music Festival, USA, the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, and he also serves as “head of teaching” at the Gstaad Menuhin Festival Conducting Academy. As a guest professor, he has taught throughout Europe at the Music Universities of Vienna, Berlin, Leipzig, Hamburg and Manchester. Furthermore, a regular co-operation as a lecturer and juror also links him to the prestigious “Dirigentenforum” of the German Music Council.
Johannes Schlaefli led the Basel Chamber Orchestra "Serenata" and the Bern Chamber Orchestra before leading the Kurpfälzische Kammerorchester in Mannheim as principal conductor from 2013-2019. Presently, he also leads the Alumni-Sinfonieorchester Zürich and the Academic Chamber Orchestra Zürich. As a guest conductor, he has performed with and conducted orchestras including the Tonhalleorchester Zürich, Hong Kong Sinfonietta, Indianapolis Chamber Orchestra, Zurich Chamber Orchestra, Munich Radio Orchestra and Orchestra della Svizzera Italiana to name a few.
10 July 2021: Arrival
11 - 13 July 2021: Piano rehearsals in Weimar
14 - 16 July 2021: Orchestra Rehearsals in Leipzig
17 July 2021: Orchestera Rehearsal with video recording
About 15 participants will be invited to the course with piano and about 8 participants will be accepted for rehearsals with orchestra.
Application: deadline: 30 April 2021
- Short CV
- Ideally, the video material should be made available on YouTube or a similar website
- Conductor must be visible from the front
- If possible 2-3 different works, preferably in concert (otherwise one rehearsal)
- Only complete movements or complete works for single-movement pieces (no cuttings)
- Igor Strawinsky: „Der Feuervogel“ Version from 1919, played in the instrumentation from 1945
- Maurice Ravel: „Daphnis et Chloé“ Suite Nr. 2
- Johannes Brahms: Symphony No. 1 in C minor op. 68, 1st and 4th movement
- Johannes Brahms: Symphony No. 2 in D major op. 73, 1st, 2nd and 3rd movement
- Johannes Brahms: Tragic Overture in D minor op. 81
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Egmont Overture in C minor op.84
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Leonore Overture No. 3 op. 72b
- Modest Mussorgsky: "Pictures at an Exhibition" (orchestration: Maurice Ravel)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Symphony No. 38 in D major KV 504 "Prague Symphony"
- Richard Strauss: "Don Juan" tone poem op. 20
Participants prepare four of the works listed above and indicate them in preference order at registration.
Course languages: German, English
Registration fee: 80 Euros
Active participation I (Piano rehearsals): 200 Euros
Active participation II (orchestra rehearsals): 650 Euros (to be paid additionally after admission for the orchestra rehearsals)
Passive participation: 150 Euros
Registration no more possible
Period: 10 - 13 July 2021 (3 nights in Weimar)
½ Double room: 84 Euros (not incl. breakfast)
Single room: 144 Euros (not incl. breakfast)
Hotel Kaiserin Augusta
½ Double room: 99 Euros (incl. breakfast)
Single room: 165 Euros (incl. breakfast)
Premier Inn Leipzig City Oper
Single Room: 45 Euro per night, plus breakfast and 3 Euro guest tax